Books I want to read in 2019 (part 1)

Hello again, long time no post.

I recently decided to get back into posting on this blog again after I have been documenting my learning over on my wiki found HERE.

It has been fun writing about new (mostly Python related) knowledge I have been accumulating but I decided I wanted to write about other things that may be considered more personal and not really belonging on a wiki about programming and VFX development.

So while this blog started out at something that I would use for writing about my progress in the VFX field, I think I will also use this space for more personal writings. Starting with this one in early 2019 about books I want to read this year.

I have set myself a goal on goodreads to read 20 books this year. To be honest I would like to read more than that but I figure a good start, especially since I only read 6 books last year.
So here is a list of the books I want to read this year in no particular order:

1. The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (The Kingkiller Chronicle book #2)

The Wise Man's Fear
The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss
This is a book I started reading at the beginning of January this year and am only around 150 pages currently. I loved The Name of The Wind (The first book in the series) and am so far loving this book. I could easily say at the moment that this is my favourite series of books. 
If you enjoy a beautifully written fantasy epic, then I highly recommend this series.

2. The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss (A Kingkiller Chronicle Novella)

The Slow Regard of Silent Things
The Slow Regard of Silent Things - Patrick Rothfuss
This is a novella following one of the side characters featured in the main Kingkiller series anmed Auri. Though I have to say I personally would have loved to see a novella following Tempi (one of my favourite side characters) I am super interested to see what a Patrick Rothfuss story that DOESN'T follow Kvothe is like. I'm certain that this book will give me a new found appreciation for the character.

3. Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (The Farseer Trilogy Book #1)

Assassin's Apprentice
Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb
I have heard nothing but good things about this series and I have often seen it sitting on the "recommended" shelf at one of my local bookstores.
It is another high fantasy series and it follows a character named Fitz who is trained as an assassin and taught how to use the traditional magic of the Farseer family.
It has been recommended on a few of the different book lovers themed youtubers that I watch and I really want to get into another fantasy series that is going to drag me completely into it's world.

4. The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (The Stormlight Archive series)

The Way of Kings Part One
The Way of Kings Part One - Brandon Sanderson
The Way of Kings Part Two
The Way of Kings Part Two - Brandon Sanderson

Another series I have heard is an amazing experience is The Stromlight Archives. Not the only Brandon Anderson series I have on this list either. This is apparently a fantastic deep series with an immersive world that any fantasy fan will want to spend every waking moment in.
I actually have little to no idea of what the story is about but I am excited to read it based on the stellar reviews I have heard from other fantasy lovers.

5. Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennet (The Founders Book #1)

Foundryside
Foundryside - Robert Jackson Bennet
This is a new book that came out last year and is apparently the first in a new fantasy series that the author plans on releasing. I have heard that the magic system in this book is fascinating and will keep you amazed all the way through when they come up with new and interesting ways of how they use it. I am looking forward to giving this one a go and seeing if the hype I have heard is well placed.

6. Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

Strange the Dreamer
Strange The Dreamer - Laini Taylor
Yet another fantasy book that came out last year. I heard about this book and though the premise seemed interesting. It is about a character that since he was a child has always been fascinated by a mythical lost city. He is presented with the opportunity to come along with a band of warriors to go in search of this city and learn it's secrets.
It actually reminds me a bit of the Disney movie 'Atlantis'. I enjoyed that movie and I hope I enjoy this book.

7. The Gentlemen Bastard series by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora
The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
Red Seas Under Red Skies
Red Seas Under Red Skies - Scott Lynch
The Republic of Thieves
The Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch
This is another fantasy series I can't say I know much about, but it was listed as one of the best high fantasy series ever. After a general read of the blurb of the first book the main character seems interesting to me, a witty and cunning bastard that runs a gang of thieves known as The Gentlemen Bastards. I am looking forward to starting this series and reading more about this character and the world he inhabits.

8. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (Duology Book #1)

Six of Crows
Six of Crows - Leigh Bardugo
This is (from memory) the only YA Fantasy on this list. I wans't intending on reading any YA books but after seeing this on the recommended shelf and hearing about it from numerous other book lovers I decided to pick it up and add it to the list. The story of six unique characters on a mission to steal an impossible item seems like something that would be up my alley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing & Running Houdini on Linux

Learning Houdini's 'Surface Operators' (SOPs)

Voppity Dop Sop Chop